Cookie use on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we can provide you with the best experience on our website. If you continue we assume you consent to receive all cookies from this website. More Info.



Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, licences can be issued, for limited periods, by Natural England, Scottish Natural Heritage, Northern Ireland Office and Natural Resources Wales.

There are several 'General Licences' that are openly available. They allow pest species to be killed for approved reasons by authorised persons using approved methods. They can only be relied upon in circumstances where the authorised person can demonstrate that appropriate non-lethal methods of control such as scaring or proofing are either ineffective or impractical.

There are 'Class Licences' for food premises and aerodromes in England, and also 'Special Licences' to be applied for by individuals. These are for the use of any other killing method not covered by the General or Class Licences or for any species other than those listed in the General or Class Licences.

For General, Class and Special Licences:



Northern Ireland

Wales conservationbiodiversity/wildlifelicences/wildlifelicences/?lang=en/p>

*All information correct at the time of publishing. Ensure you check with your national authority to keep up-to-date with changes in legislation.